March 18, 2011

Lazy Gardening

I do not consider myself a "yard person".  I only do as much yard work and planting of things as I have to in order to make our yard attractive enough that the neighbors will think kindly of me. 

 When we first moved in to this house 6 years ago, I was more gung-ho and ripped out all the bushes in along the front of the house and planted new ones. They have done well and only 
require pruning to keep them from growing in front of the 
windows. 

I also planted lots of day lily bulbs in two beds in the front yard.  
 I found out too late that the lilies are the kind that only bloom about two weeks in the summer (but they do have great leaves about nine months of the year). 

 I now have a stash of seasonal fake flowers that I push down into the real leaves when the lilies are not in bloom.  These fake daffodils will have to be replaced soon since most of the real ones in the neighborhood are already through blooming.


I usually do put real flowers in these urns by the front door after danger of freezing has past but for now they have  fake spring flowers too (or "faux botanicals" as Pottery Barn calls them). 

 Even as a lazy gardener, I don't mind stepping out the front door 
to keep these urns watered about once a day when they do
 have real plants and flowers.
Front porch area (note to self: don't stand in front of the glass door when taking a picture...
it makes the wreath look like it has legs.)

Close-up of spring flowers in urn on front porch

I purchased this spring-y wreath on big mark down last fall

Cute bird's nest with eggs on wreath

The backyard is almost on "auto pilot" (which is great with me) with established trees and shrubs planted by the former owners. 

  We do have the crepe myrtle trees that are right up next to the house that we cut back every spring.  This is a much debated practice called "crepe murder"...here is an article about it if you want to know what the controversy is about...

"Murdered" crepe myrtle trees are in the foreground of the photo below are surrounded by white azalea bushes that will bloom soon.
 The Crepe myrtle trees in the background along the fence have not been "murdered". You can see how much bigger they are if allowed to grow but I personally don't like tall trees right next to the house.


Confederate Jasmine thrives along the fence line along the drive.

Spirea bushes takes very little maintenance .



6 comments

  1. Lots of pretties in your yard- real & faux. Still laughing about those faux "botanicals"!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMGosh..looks like you are handling growing flowers more than you give yourself credit for.
    Once you get the hang of growing your own flowers I'm sure the faux flowers will be a thing of the past..you have to love flowers to continue on..I love flowers...
    have a great weekend,
    Sincerely,
    shirley

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh this post makes me so ready for Spring! Love all of your flowers...faux and real. ;) Thank you so much for linking up to Inspiration Friday At The Picket Fence!

    Heather @At The Picket Fence

    ReplyDelete
  4. It all looks so pretty. I've never even thought of putting faux flowers in the yard. Loving your wreath "with legs" LOL! Thank you for linking to Favorite Things. laurie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think your "lazy" gardening turned out spectacular!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Curious about fertility options, I stumbled upon the question what is intracervical insemination
    The comprehensive information provided by intracervical insemination's website not only answered my query but also introduced me to a reliable source for fertility solutions.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you SO MUCH for taking the time to comment on my blog!

© Miss Kopy Kat. Design by FCD.